Summerland’s downtown once had wooden sidewalks – Kelowna Capital News
In 1925, downtown Summerland had wooden sidewalks and different shops than they do today.
At the time, Main Street was called Granville Road, and AJ Beer Shoe Store was a shop that welcomed customers. The shoe shop was in operation from 1916 to 1936.
The Gartrell Block seen on the right of the photo is now the location of Summerland IOOF Hall.
ALSO READ: The downtown building has a long history
ALSO READ: Summerlands Bierhaus, recognized for its historical value
Lowertown was originally the center of the parish, and the businesses were located on what is now Lakeshore Drive. However, on March 13, 1922, a fire quickly spread in the area.
The fire fighting equipment was minimal and the damage was great. The total loss was estimated at $ 70,000 to $ 80,000.
The Summerland Review lost $ 17,000 to $ 20,000 worth of equipment. The Simpson and Gowan’s store that started the fire lost $ 25,000 in inventory and approximately $ 5,000 in building.
The $ 10,000 WJ Robinson residence was destroyed, as was the $ 500 Empire Hall building.
Stark’s store in the Empire Building was also destroyed. It was worth $ 1,000.
The Summerland Hotel opposite today’s fish hatchery was built in 1092 by the Summerland Development Company. It was destroyed by fire around midnight on November 14, 1925.
Today the Summerland Supply Co. building on the corner of Main Street and Victoria Road is the oldest commercial building in Summerland. It was built in 1907 and has been in continuous use ever since. It housed the Laidlaw and Co. General Store, followed by Laidlaw men’s and boy’s clothing, Haskins men’s clothing, Marguerite’s flowers, Art Knapps flowers, Steele and Steele photography, the Summerland Flower Shop, and ReMax Realty and Rock Star District clothing and accessories.
ALSO READ: Downtown Summerland has seen numerous changes
The former Bank of Montreal building, built in 1917, served as a bank until 2018. It’s now Yaki’s Pizza in Summerland. The building can be seen in the photo to the right of the last car.
To report a typo, send an email to:
Like us on Facebook and follow us on Twitter.
Get local stories you won’t find anywhere else straight to your inbox.
Sign up here